This easy creamy loaded Potato Soup recipe is so good! Learn how to make the best cheesy potato soup with bacon in a creamy base (without heavy cream). A quick, 30-minute recipe that is total comfort food.
We love easy creamy soups all year long, like fresh Corn Chowder, New England Style Clam Chowder and this Potato Soup. They are hearty enough to serve as the main course, paired with crusty French Bread.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
The BEST Potato Soup Recipe!
Homemade potato soup is so easy to make from scratch and beats any restaurant soup. The base is so creamy, hearty and filling. It’s like a delicious loaded baked potato with all your favorite toppings but as a soup, yes, please!
The soup uses ingredients you most likely already have at home and can be made so quickly, great for busy evenings.
- Meat – We used bacon in this recipe, you can substitute bacon for cubed ham, if desired.
- Potatoes – you can use Russet, Idaho or Yukon gold potatoes. NOTE: If you’re using Yukon potatoes, the skin may be left on.
- Veggies – Though we only added onion and garlic, you can add cubed carrots and celery to the soup.
- No Cream Required! Instead of using heavy whipping cream. Make a roux to thicken the soup with butter, flour, broth and milk
- Cheese – Mild cheddar or sharp cheddar is great.
How to Make Creamy Potato soup
- Place potatoes in a pot, cover with water, season with salt and cook until tender then drain.
- In a separate dutch oven, saute bacon until crispy, remove and set aside, reserving 1 Tbsp bacon grease.
- Add onions and butter and sautee until soft. Add garlic, cooking until fragrant.
- Whisk in flour, milk and broth until smooth.
- Add drained potatoes, season with salt and pepper and bring to a soft boil.
- Stir in sour cream, cheese and bacon. Bring to a boil then remove from heat.
Serve the creamy potato soup with your favorite toppings!
Toppings for Potato Soup
You can top the creamy with your favorite toppings to make it a truly loaded soup! Here are some options:
- Bacon bits
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Diced avocado
- Cooked corn kernels
- Green onion or chives
Loaded potato soup is comfort food at its finest. You’re going to love the combination of flavors in the soup. Every bite is loaded with creamy soup with chunks of potatoes, bacon, and cheese.